Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Things We Do

I have been concerned with what I fear will be our reality in the coming years regarding school options. I think most likely, for the best "education" venue, we will be choosing home. Also fearful of my ability to gauge how much "learning" is taking place, I decided to try to capture some of the moments when I thought something bigger than usual Moon spaciness was happening. I missed so many, but looking through these pictures I can see that we will be just fine.
*note, most of these activities were initiated by Moon, not Mama constructed "lessons". I think that the leaf lesson was the only one I brought up.

Straw sorting. I like to try to take note of more than the obvious things being done here. For example, she was not only practicing sorting by color, but was also learning about space in a slightly more abstract way and shapes and capacity. Maybe over reaching, but I want to know more about how Moon learns, so here I am.

We took a field trip and learned a few things about trains. And about how to relax watching a video ;-)

And keep a baby occupied and smiling
Acorns! We discovered this big pile under leaves we were raking. Moon noticed that they weren't the same size as our wooden acorns inside.

About the season of autumn and changing leaves

Dress up with friends
Making train tracks

Helping mama make stew. Moon was in charge of "putting things in".
Doing puzzles with mama and making paper airplanes.
I caught this one left on her floor after bedtime.
I thought that she may enjoy Lincoln Logs after seeing that. She did. This is the Papa Mike house we built according to the box directions.

Making carrot cupcakes. I forgot to take pictures of the stirring etc, but I bet you can imagine them well enough.
Imaginary play.
This was such a magical moment that I happened to sneak up on. Moon was setting up a beauty shop like on Max and Ruby and was deep in her world, talking to Max because she, of course, is Ruby. The lunchbox is her "delux beauty kit" with all of her accessories needed for playing beauty shop in. She also brought her tea in with her for added sweetness.

Later that day, Owen came over and Moon convinced him to participate in the beauty shop. Lucky guy ;-)
A close up of the beauty kit.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

They're both getting so BIG! And her hair is coming in PINK! Who knew?

korin said...

i love this post!!