Monday, February 05, 2007

So here we go, attempting to keep up with this new (old) blog.
I love the idea of keeping track of goals, etc. in blog form, so here goes:
Our New Years Goals in the Moon house include
1. Cutting down the grocery budget! Seriously.
2. Taking better care of our dental health. Weird, but necessary, since we have no dental insurance.
3. Limiting plastics in our house. Recycling what does come in.
4. Greening our house where we can.
5. Save money. I would love to add a couple grand to the savings this year.

This is how we are doing so far.
1. Me and some other mama's have started a local buying club. Ideally, this will cut back the budget some, right? I have been keeping track of how much money we spend on groceries and eating out, coffee, etc. We have also been planning the garden early, so that we can really get a lot out of it.

2. We got a sonicare toothbrush. I love it, P is not the biggest fan.
Moon is happy to brush 3 or 10 times a day, so she's good. But I still worry that her teeth aren't really strong. She is also a fan of flossing, which keeps me flossing more often too.

3. We recycled nearly all "tupperware" type containers to the goodwill, donated most of Moon's plastic toys (we kept a few, of course). I haven't purchased things because they were plastic or polyester. That feels right.

4. This one we could really use some improvement on. We just started the process of using rain barrels for our downspouts. Other than that, I don't think we have gotten far. Oh, I guess we got our carpets cleaned by a "green" company.

5. The savings is not going. Moons eye doctor and glasses are going to eat that up for the next couple of months. But it's cool. She's worth it.

2 comments:

Korin said...

It's cool, she's worth it. LOL

I love the decreasing plastic. i've been working on that for a year or so. It feels good. Although I do keep some plastic around because it's lighter to transport (ryan rides his bike to work)

::thumbs up:: rock on mama

Oh... local buying club? Do tell!

Unknown said...

Dang straight she's worth it! Thanks for the inspiration on the teeth. I need to take it up a notch for Mr. Owen (for all 6 of those teeth!!!)